Why Did the Dream Cross the Road?

While the rest of the Whole Health team attempts to outrun coyotes in the river valley with the Relief Guy, I have been introducing Daisy to my version of exercising in the city. I love to walk around city neighbourhoods and check out houses, decorating styles and human activity. Yep I am a people watcher. Daisy has struggled to join me in this pastime for a couple of reasons - high snow banks and a bum eye. Pausing at a break in the snow bank and oogling a lovely lady washing her supper dishes, Daisy hypothesizes on what might have been on that plate for supper. I am more focused on her kitchen cupboards as my mind leaps forward to our new property. Noticing the lady's discomfort under the beady glare of Daisy's 'stink eye', we move along the sidewalk and along in our discussion.
'You know', I continue telling Daisy, 'one might think upon reflection that I am having a mid-life crisis or something with this move. I hope not because the Camaro would have been a lot cheaper.'
'Uh huh' responds Daisy while giving another lady washing her dishes the full force of her stink eye.  'I am going to say burritos on that plate' says Daisy.
Carrying on along the sidewalk, each of us in our own conversation, I tell Daisy that I don't think this is a change in direction for me but rather a continuation along a road I have been on for a really long time.
'It has always been a dream of mine to run a historic lodge. Whenever we travel, we always try to stay in the homey heritage lodge. If it is owned by a family then that is the best. I have always envied people who get to own these properties.'
Warming to my subject and ignoring Daisy's frequent interjections of the neighbourhood's supper menus, I continue telling Daisy that I cannot pass a rundown old building without fantasizing about buying it and fixing it up to be a lodge. 'Oh Daisy,' I tell her, 'that incredible house across from the Bowmanville Museum...I fantasized about buying it for years! I have inspirations you know. I love the Hochelaga Inn in Kingston. It was a grand old home converted to a bed and breakfast. We stayed there after our wedding, the Relief Guy and I.

Hochelaga Inn, Kingston Ontario


I just can't shake my memories of The Highland Inn in Monterey, West Virginia. We stumbled across it by mistake and it is a delight. Confederate soldiers stayed there during the Civil War! It is run by a couple who have teamed up with a chef who creates the most marvellous meals in their dining room.  All the rooms are full of antiques. I never wanted to leave.
The Highland Inn, Monterey West Virginia

My latest favourite is the Hacienda Corona de Guevavi in Arizona. A couple discovered it all rundown and delapidated. They found out that it had been John Wayne's retreat from Hollywood and they restored it discovering rare artwork in the process. They have photo albums of their journey in restoring the property that I just salivate over whenever I am there. Attempting to draw Daisy's attention, I tell her that the southwest breakfasts are amazing!
Hacienda Corona de Guevavi, Nogales Arizona

I can't believe that I am at the cusp of realizing this long dream of mine, I tell Daisy. I was there once before when we bought a rundown old house in Edmonton 14 years ago. I did all the research and had the house successfully designated a Provincial Historic Site but then we had to sell it for our move to Ontario.  We sold it to another couple who successfully ran it as a bed and breakfast for many years.  I thought I was giving up on my dream but that house today is a respite home for parents whose children are fighting cancer.  I am happy they have that place. It was meant to be and I know that now.

Sarah McLellan House, Edmonton Alberta



 I apparently needed to travel along my road a little more and learn more.  I think that my travels on my road have been a means for gathering life experiences that I needed for this dream of mine. Business sense, public service sense, a stiff spine, a stiff drink and the sense to know that nonsense is just nonsense.

What a road it has been Daisy and I cannot believe I am standing at the door of my dream. You know Daisy, it doesn't matter if it is successful to me. The success is being here.  I am just happy to be here. I would have always regretted not following my road and finding this dream.
Turning her stink eye fully upon me, Daisy says 'Get off the road'.
Oh my goodness! I have always believed in the intuition of animals. I recall as a child watching my horses gallop madly about the field and then discovering that there had also been a meteorite shower at that time. They know when storms are coming, when people are bad, when not to walk around that bend in the path because there is a bear around that bend....they have saved my bacon many a time.
'What is it!' Daisy I cry out. 'Is this a bad property? Have I missed something? Are we in the wrong place, space and time? What is it? Why must I abandon my dream? Why must I leave my road?'
'Because', says Daisy, ' we are standing in the middle of this road and that car is going to hurt a whole lot...'


Comments

Popular Posts