My March Madness

 Amid some wonderful balmy weather this week that melted most of our snow, yesterday I took the decision to put away my winter boots. This morning I awoke to at least 2 inches of fresh snow on the ground and two dogs needing to relieve themselves outside immediately.  Fortunately I found a very fluffy pair of slippers and half bundled in a trailing bathrobe I sleepily opened the door to our winter wonderland.  Much to our surprise we were face to face with a moose on our backstoop.  The dogs recovered before I did and put chase to the moose with all three disappearing into the woods while I stood there in shock.  Recovering slightly I was thankful for the snow so I could follow everyone's tracks into the woods and hopefully recover the dogs.  My bathrobe, slippers and I made it about 100 metres before I finally fully awoke and remembered that one never follows your dogs when they are chasing a moose because that moose will tire of those silly little creatures. Then a new chase will ensue that involves dogs running back to their owner with an enraged moose hot on their heels.  As this realization came to me...so did my dogs.  We all turned and beat a hasty retreat back to the house with me marvelling at the amazing traction that a pair of fluffy slippers can have under duress.  

Now we are all hunkered down in the house waiting for the moose's mood to change and I know that I have been the cause of all of this mayhem.  It is utter madness to put away your winter boots in March in Alberta.

Comments

Popular Posts