There Are Strange Things Done on the Conrad Ranch

So today I was doing a bit of Spring cleaning and came across this little ditty from the winter.  It is long past time it was off my desk and shared with you so here it is with many apologies to Sam McGee and Robert Service...


There are strange things done on the Conrad Ranch
That are born in the minds of the lads
And you would think by now that I would know
The good thoughts from the bad.
Our neighbours have certainly seen queer sights
But the queerest they ever did see
Was the day on the ranch that there was no snow
And we decided  to ski

Now the man I know  is from Ontario where in the winter it snows and blows
Why his thoughts would abound that we could ski on bare ground , one only knows
Better question instead  is where was my head and what I could have been thinking
To cross country ski with little snow under trees,  by God I must have been drinking!

It was on Boxing Day when we went on our way to tackle our forest trails
It was hard to glide on the frozen mudslide and we crept along like snails
With encouraging claps and many misleading facts told by the man of the ranch
I believed him when he said that there was snow ahead and decided to take a chance.

Have you ever found a patch of snow on the ground and gone whizzing down a hill
Only to hit frozen mud and with a mighty thud, come to an abrupt standstill
The skis they do stop but not you on top, no you propel forward like lead
And that is how you fall upon the ground in a ball and hit your poor little head

Not once, not twice heck not even thrice you repeat this dramatic display
While the man of the ranch marvels that perchance we could on like this all day
Flopping around on the frozen ground  with legs and skis all bent
You spy on a hill an end to this thrill, in the form of a nice little bench

While catching your breath and enjoying a rest, and thinking of harm in precision
A rustling in trees has you poised to flee as you rethink this resting decision
It must be a moose, time to get the skis loose with the thought to make yourself  faster
The man leaps on his skis and is looking very pleased, and you think HA he’s a silly bastard

Then out from the bush with a swish and a swoosh a figure makes you pause in mid-step
The man of the ranch even stops his flight dance and ponders and takes a breath
For in all of your years in the woods  far and near you have never seen a fur hat
Bouncing up in the air with such pomp and flair perched upon a moose’s fine rack.

Instead under that hat there strode with a pack  our very own resident trapper
He’d been checking his lines when he heard all ‘our’ whines, and wondered what was the matter
With this all sorted out the ranch man gave a loud shout that his heart rate is too much at rest
He skied off across what looked like frozen moss with a couple of snow patches at best

 From across the frozen tundra he shouted back with a thunda’,  come hurry the snow is near
Having  lost my mind  and getting used to the grind, I responded, “I’m coming dear”
Off I went down some grass landing with a thud on my a__, and wishing it all would end
As I lay looking at the sky, out of the corner of my eye, I swore the trapper said “not this again”

Feeling no gain and only much pain, toward the ranch man I sent my worst glare
Come on he shouted and this I should have doubted, there is snow just over there
I know for a fact he said with impact that there is snow in that grove of trees
Not another ski I can go without some pearly white snow, I begged him to leave me please

I gathered my nerve and with much verve, I made the trees at a creep
Now I have to say in the pure light of day  that the snow was really quite deep
Much to my surprise and with tears in my eyes, I was able to achieve a good glide
With my head lifted high because the end was nigh, I began to ski with much pride

And there it was the last hill that looked so calm and still  except for that curve at the bottom
I don’t mean to be picky but it seemed kind of tricky even with snow piled about me like cotton
The ranch man went first, I heard a grunt burst  and then words that it was just a wee bump
But a log over the trail would have been a better detail  and that the skis and I would have to jump

That is it I declared, with my skis in the air, I am out of here, I am done
Skiing on hard frozen mud and landing on your arse with a thud  is not my idea of fun
With a huff and a sigh and my most evil eye off came the skis and the poles with a clatter
The ranch man feigned surprise and stood blinking his eyes wondering what could be the matter

You can stay out here and tromp around with the deer or maybe that fellow over there
For the trapper had moved on and was now on the pond, cutting holes with a great deal of flair
With my temper in a smolder and my skies on my shoulder marching past in a state of high drama
I suddenly noticed by chance that the man of the ranch was out skiing in his pyjamas.

There are strange things done on the Conrad ranch
That are born in the minds of  the lads
And you would think by now that I would know
The good thoughts from the bad.
Our neighbours have certainly seen queer sights
But the queerest they ever did see
Was the day on the ranch that there was no snow
And we decided to ski


Smiling through the pain...truly.


The resident opinionated Trapper

The Pyjamas!

Comments

Popular Posts