Dear Daisy



It has been over a month now since Daisy has left us.  I have had some troubles with finally posting her passing,  Such an odd quandry because when the beagles joined our family it was my hope to give them a beautiful ending to a life that had had such horrible beginnings for them.  But that ending became my new beginning.  Five years ago when I went out for a jug of milk and came home with a pair of older beagles with a myriad of health problems, I called it a rescue. Initially I thought it was me rescuing the beagles.   I suddenly found myself in the position of having to take time each morning to exercise the beagles as they started their long journey of recovery. I suddenly found myself taking long walks and exploring my mind. I suddenly found myself paying much more attention to the little things in life. I suddenly found myself following the lead of the beagles as they followed their noses. I suddenly found myself writing Tails. I suddenly found myself listening to the wisdom of the world. I suddenly found myself.
As you know Austin left us a year ago. I was sure Daisy would follow immediately thereafter. They had never been separated. They had shared pain and suffering together. They had shared love and laughter together. I was sure they would share death together. But no Daisy was not done with me yet.  After Austin left she carried on. She carried on as her own beagle on her terms and was somehow an even stronger beagle. Despite plaguing health concerns she suddenly had boundless energy and a love of walks on the trails. Just when I thought she could not possibly walk any slower, she would suddenly bolt away leaving me in her dust and running helplessly after her not sure if I would ever see her again. After losing sight in her other eye making her completely blind combined with her existing hearing loss, she still followed her nose and delighted in her discoveries. Despite the loss of her lifelong partner, the world was a beautiful place for Daisy. She changed and adapted and remained unflinching in her resolve to make the most out of everyday. Daisy lived with wild abandonment and the belief that the world was hers to explore. Every morsel of food was hers to eat. Every soft blanket was hers to lay on. Every trail was hers to wander. She was all beagle...she was very beagle....Her heart was open to everyone. Weren't we the lucky ones to have her in our lives even for such a short time. She is now romping the hills of heaven with Austin again. I am having trouble imagining my days without her but she has taught me well. The world is open to the possibilities and we must make the most of our time in our own way. Rest in Peace Dear Daisy

Comments

  1. Awesome dog tail! I had a similar experience with my Macey! They do teach us some miraculous things! RIP Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. I remember reading about your Macey. They do hold a special place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts