Back to School

The summer days draw to an end and before I know it I am waiting for the first of three school buses to arrive to pick up some of my children for school.  After child number four gets on bus number three, I heave a sigh of relief.  A sharp loud retort has me jumping out of my skin and when I turn around Austin a.k.a. Pistol is starring at me expectantly.  Daisy remains snoring on her back.

We have a routine on the farm.  During the lazy hazy days of summer, the kids are responsible for the animal related chores.  During school time, I take care of the morning portion of these chores to help simplify the bus loading procedures.  As I stare at Austin and Daisy, I realize that I am now responsible for the running of the hounds.

I approach this new task as a chore.  After all I have to get to my day job at some point during the day and I have no time to dilly dally.  Off we go every morning marching in the field.  At first I remain utterly focused on the end result...getting the by-products out of these animals so I can put them in the kennel for feeding.  March, march, march about the field.

Then one morning there is this amazing colour in the sky.  It is part of the sunrise and I couldn't even tell you what colour it was.  The hounds and I stand and stare for a while.  Another morning, I watch this mist roll across the landscape toward our farm.  Once I got by the Stephen King-ish nature of it, I noticed how it was rolling in from Lake Ontario like a sea itself.  The hounds and I stand and stare for a while.  Another morning it is drizzling.  One could say it was a gray morning but I noticed how the rain made everything bright green.  The hounds and I stand and stare for a while.

I start to pay attention to these funny little companions of mine.  They notice so much.  Noses to the grounds, ears up, noses to the sky - so much going on.  And I noticed that they are always checking to see if I have noticed what they have found.  Every morning is just a barrel of fun and exploration for this pair.  They have so much to show me.  This leads to my first comment on Facebook;

Martha
thinks her beagles may be smarter than she is. I have seen some lovely sunrises on those early morning walks that they insist on and I groan about. A much needed stress reducer.
And so my education begins.

Comments

Popular Posts