I Am Who I Am

Austin turns to me in circle this morning and says, it feels like sweater weather, doesn't it?  OK OK I say to Austin.  I have started knitting your sweater again.  The turtleneck is done now so I should have the whole sweater completed just in time for the sweltering heat of July.  I can't wear a sweater in July!  Austin responds in panic.  Well why not? I ask.  Monty grows his winter coat in July every year. Turning to Monty I ask, why do you do that anyway?  Oh who knows, Monty answers.  I learned a long time ago that life is what life is.  It happens and we are all just passengers on this train called life.  You can rail against the passage of time and grow despondent over what could have been or what should have been but it is what it is.  I would love the body of a grey hound but instead I have the body of a yellow lab...and not just any yellow lab but the old english lines as you so proudly proclaim to people.  You know the boxy stout form of the british hunting dogs.  I can't change that nor can I seem to stop growing that winter coat in July.  You just have to let it be.  Accept who you are, and enjoy the view.  After all, I am who I am, accept me, reject me but I am still me.
In the stunned silence that followed, Daisy turned to Rose and asked, "What are the affects of catnip on dogs?"

Comments

Popular Posts