The Art of Food


We are a fast food society.  Lots of people tell us that but really what does it mean.  I have been talking to my group about it because I have become a product of this fast food society and I am not proud.  Years ago when ‘time’ was my friend, I loved cooking.  Similar to quilting, I am not a good cook.  I just enjoyed the process and sometimes the people at the end of my cooking seemed delighted and other times there was just an awkward silence.  I am good with both responses since it is not about the product for me but the process.  Daisy nods in total agreement as she is not too fussy on the product either as long as there is lots of it.  And then my friend ‘time’ disappeared and in its place came the hustle and bustle of life along with preprocessed food.  Suddenly I had no patience.  Like a fast food drive thru window I expected everything to happen according to the countdown and within seconds.  I am embarrassed to say that when things did not happen according to the fast food rules, I would feel this overwhelming anxiety even rage.  I couldn’t wait.  I needed it NOW.  I couldn’t stand waiting for anything or the weight of the world or even my own weight.  What do we really need NOW?  Beyond medical attention in the midst of an emergency episode, I cannot think of anything else.  I have come back to the knowledge that food is artful.  We need to invite our friend ‘time’ to the table and enjoy the process of making and eating food.  It is life’s sustenance and it deserves our time.  The quantity need not be large (oh yes it does says Daisy) but the process should be more involved than ripping open a plastic wrapper with your teeth and throwing the preprocessed item in the oven on a sheet for 30-35 minutes.  Years ago I used to make all of my own bread.  I am returning to that process. Kneading bread is a fabulous tension reliever.  You can even slap it around a little and boy does it tone those arms.  The other day, I grabbed bits and pieces from different recipes and made the most delicious hamburgers with homemade buns that I have ever tasted....and I am not a good cook!  Then I went on to make Backwoods Pie just because I thought I should.  I was told by one person that the crust was a little salty but then I got a call from another person mid-day wondering if I might be making one of those pies again. I am still a busy person.  Maintaining 150 acres is a big job and then there is the whole start up of the ‘small business’  thing too.   It takes a lot of time to make all this food and I am happy to be spending time with my good friend again.

In case you have time....
With a nod to my hero Edna Staebler, here is the hamburger bun recipe;
Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1 cup lukewarm water.
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp yeast over it and let stand for 10 mins.
Then stir until yeast is dissolved
Stir in 2 cups warm water, 1 tbsp salt, 1/4 cup white sugar or honey, 1/2 cup salad oil
Add 9 cups of flour 1 cupful at a time and mixing thoroughly
You do not knead this bread but you can slap it around a little at this time if you need to.
Cover bowl with plastic and let rise until double in bulk about 1 1/2 hours.
Roll out dough to 3/4 inch thickness, cut with tuna tin can and let buns rise again
Bake 400 F for 15 minutes

I can't decide if it was the burgers or the special burger sauce.  I have decided I will always eat my burgers with slices of avocado...amazing!
Mix ground beef with grated cheese, BBQ sauce, onion salt and round pepper
Special sauce; 3/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup relish, 2 tbsp plus another dollop of worcestershire sauce just because, salt.  Mix it all together
Slather sauce on buns and then top burgers.  I used lettuce and avocado.
Thanks to Little Miss Momma for the recipe

And now for the piece de resistance...
Uncooked 9 inch pie pastry
Mix together 1 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp flour, 1 cup maple syrup, 1 cup milk, 1 tbsp butter, 3 egg yolks.  Beat 3 egg whites until stiff and fold them into mixture. Pour into pie shell.  Bake at 325 F until set.  The goddess Edna says it should be 40 - 50 minutes.  I baked it for over an hour.

Comments

Popular Posts